This new gallery is from a personal photo collection of 35mm color slides donated to the USS Hornet Museum and includes 36 pictures from CVA-12’s West Pacific Cruise in 1955. Unfortunately, along with the donor’s name, we do not know currently know much about these photos and where they might have been taken.
You can find the photo collection by following this link: http://www.usshornetmuseum.org/PhotoGallery/gallery.php?galleryFolder=1955_CVA12_WestPac_Cruise_Personal_Pics
or by going to the Photo Gallery section and selecting the “1955 West Pacific Cruise Personal Photos” gallery.
Of particular note, are the pictures showing USS Hornet in drydock. We believe this might be in Japan and the reason might be a lost/broken screw. Again, we are not sure on details.
There are also 2 photos showing a huge wave crash through the bow of the ship and a lot of deck and flight crew running away. We also do not know when this happened and whether there was any significant damage.
Deployed on board the Hornet for this cruise was CVG-7, commanded by Lt. Commander H. H. Henderson, with the following squadrons:
- VF-71 flying McDonnell F2H-3 Banshee (tail code letters L 1xx)
- VF-72 flying Grumman F9F-5 Panther (tail code letters L 2xx)
- VF-73 flying Grumman F9F-6 Cougar (tail code letters L 3xx)
- VA-75 flying Douglas AD-6 Skyraider (tail code letters L 5xx)
- VC-6 flying North American AJ-2 Savage (tail code letters NF xx Det A)
- VC-12 flying Douglas AD-5W Skyraider (tail code letters NE 70x Det 32)
- VC-33 flying Douglas AD-5N Skyraider (tail code letters SS 81x Det 32)
- VC-62 flying Grumman F9F-6P Cougar (tail code letters PL 96x Det 32)
- HU-1 flying Piasecki HUP-2 Retriever (tail code letters UP 22 Det 17)
We will continue to look for more information about this photo collection, but please let us know if you have any details you want to share via email (email@example.com) or by leaving a comment here.