This new gallery is from a personal photo collection of 35mm color slides donated to the USS Hornet Museum and includes 12 pictures from CVA-12′s West Pacific Cruise in 1957. Unfortunately, along with the donor’s name, we do not know much about these photos at this stage, and would appreciate if our readers can provide us with details.
You can find the photo collection by following this link: http://www.usshornetmuseum.org/PhotoGallery/gallery.php?galleryFolder=1957_Far_East_Cruise_Personal_Photos
or by going to the Photo Gallery section and selecting the CVA-12 collection and then the “1957 West Pacific Cruise Personal Photos” gallery.
In this cruise, USS Hornet embarked Air Group-14 (CVG-14) commanded by Commander Ray C. Tylutki, with the following squadrons:
- VF-142 flying North AmericanFJ-3MFury (tail code letters A 2xx)
- VF-144 flying Grumman F9F-8B Cougar (tail code letters A 4xx)
- VA-145 flying Douglas AD-6 Skyraider (tail code letters A 5xx)
- VA-146 flying Grumman F9F-8B Cougar (tail code letters A 6xx)
- VAH-6 flying North American AJ-2 Savage (tail code letters NF xx Det. F)
- VAW-11 flying Douglas AD-5W Skyraider (tail code letters ND 4x Det. F)
- VAAW-35 flying Douglas AD-5N Skyraider (tail code letters NR 7x Det. F)
- VFP-61 flying Grumman F9F-8P Cougar (tail code letters PP 79/8x Det. F)
- HU-1 flying Piasecki HUP-2 Retriever (tail code letters UP 7 Det 1 Unit F)
One of the highlights in the photos is the mix and match of camouflage colors in the aircraft. Whereas most of the aircraft are in non-specular grays and whites, you will see a couple of Skyraiders in gloss sea blue.